Thursday, December 8, 2011

While I was Trolling the Blogs today

I found a blog about addiction today. In it, the definition of addiction was posted, http://notalone-saints.blogspot.com/2011/12/fighting-addictions.html I was relieved that someone was brave enough to talk about addictions. I know that I am not.

I attend AA meetings twice a week. I have been for about four months now. I like them, they are a constant reminder that I am not in my recovery alone. One day when I'm more solid on my feet I will talk about it. But now the subject is addiction. If you took the time to read the article, you'd notice there was a paragraph about substitute addictions. That's something I've been dealing with a lot lately.

Yesterday when I got to the train station I immediately went to the pastry shop located across the street. I have not gone in there in quite a while. But as I said yesterday also close to the train station is the grocery store that has a whole isle dedicated to alcohol. What I did was buy yummy desserts to satisfy the urge to drink. It was impulsive, you could count it as a win if i didn't drink, right? Not really because I still had the craving and I was moved to do something out of character AND with out much though to the consequences. In this case I was up all night with gas (ewwww).

So my question is this, and I already know the answer but I like to ask anyway. How do I curb the impulses and still process the stress? My brain will demand some kind of action. If I don't do something I will start seeing triggers and having cravings until I can either suppress the impulse or satisfy it.

How are you on deep breathing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something. I'd love to hear from you.