Friday, March 30, 2012

Flash Fiction: Grand Dad's Truck


"Ma said he picked up grandma in a truck. That was the first sign of things to go wrong.  At the drive-in, his spilled her malt, all over her dress when he tried to kiss her. Then on the way back, he splattered mud on her when he tried to help someone out of a ditch." Faye was amazed that Grandma ever dated again.

"Grandma must have hated him for that…" The girls laughed, each glad she was not her.

"What are you two laughing about?" Jamilla said.

"Mom told us about your first date. What a loser." Wanda said.

"I married that loser. His truck is still in the yard." Jamilla said proudly. "And your grandfather better not hear you talk like that."


Flash Fiction over at Madison Woods or on Twitter #FridayFictioneers 

14 comments:

  1. Nice little yarn of family and memories. I liked it very much.

    My offering is at: http://www.jeffreyhollar.com/2012/03/coming-home.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. I loved your story. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Good story. Want to hear more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More about the date? or more about Jamilla and her family? I don't know if I can do a whole story about them, but it is something I'll look into.

      Delete
  3. I love where you are going with this...a lovely approach between generations...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't always fun to talk about the past with family? Just to think back on times when things were a little different, and see if something would ever happen like that now... I don't know. Thank you for reading

      Delete
  4. Fun story. Thx for sharing. I wonder if grandpa heard?
    Mine at http://shirleymccann.blogspot.com/2012/03/fitting-end.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I think in this case Jamilla will tell him later on, so they can both laugh about it.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful fun story. His dorky, clumsiness made me chuckle. It was probably his first date. Surprised she dated him again. Maybe it was his gorgeous looks. lol. Anyhow, I loved it. Here's mine:
    www.triplemoonstar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I find dorkiness endearing. I like rooting for the underdog. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. Dear Atiya,

    That was a wonderful take on the prompt. I fell in and rode along to the drive in and got helped out of the ditch and was even at the wedding. You really crafted a smooth stream to ride on.

    Aloha,

    Doug

    http://ironwoodwind.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/pure-coincidence/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Your imagination is wonderful. Thank you for saying that. I really appreciate that.

      Delete
  7. Nice family story. Trucks always have a tale to tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont they!!! I wonder if the truck in the picture will still run if it ever gets fixed? The possibilities!

      Delete

Say Something. I'd love to hear from you.